Vicarage Field Redevelopment
Thank you for visiting the Vicarage Field redevelopment website
Outline planning permission has now been granted for a transformational redevelopment of the Vicarage Field Shopping Centre in Barking town centre.
This follows an extensive design and pre-application consultation, which saw over 1,000 local residents attending events including an exhibition and six-week programme of activities run by Barking-based organisation Studio 3.
We believe our proposals will play a significant role in securing the future of the town centre and drive further investment to the Borough by delivering a number of key benefits, including:
- A new modern shopping offer – with up to 200,000 sq ft of retail space;
- An enhanced town centre evening and weekend economy – with an improved leisure offer, music venue, hotel and selection of restaurants which will attract new visitors;
- Supporting community uses – including a modern healthcare facility, a 3-form primary school, a ‘bike hub’ and employment space for local businesses;
- A greener, more welcoming environment;
- Around 850 new homes; and
- A significant economic boost to the town centre – with the potential to add an additional spend of £8-11 million per year from new residents and up to 1,300 new full time jobs.
We will update local communities again once the GLA has reached its decision, but in the meantime we would like to thank everyone for taking an interest in the plans.